Monday, June 10, 2013

thoughts on a summer night

Today was a good day with some moments I want to remember. 

I went to get coffee with my neighbor Rachel this afternoon, and afterwards we decided to check on one of our ESL students we haven't seen in a while. We entered her apartment, cooed over her sweet grand baby, and sat down on the sofa with the baby as she left to make us tea. Little Aissh started fussing pretty quickly, and his grandma came in to rescue him. We listened from the living room as she used a sing-song voice to keep him happy while she made tea. I know only a bit on Nepali, but I could tell she was singing about what she was doing because I kept hearing the words for "tea", "milk, and "sugar". It was happy, engaging and full of love. It was beautiful. And I was struck by how similar it is to the way we keep our babies happy while we are in the kitchen. Some things are truly the same in every culture.


Bishnu and Aish coming out of the kitchen together.

Once I got home, we decided to pack a picnic and head up north to a park on the riverfront. The boys brought their bikes, and we had bubbles and frisbees. Ezra is still new on 2 wheels, but he did such a great job. Lois loved walking around in the grass, chasing her brothers and trying to pick up the bubbles on the lawn. I loved being outside together as a family, and everyone else did too. I think we need more green space in our life!


Drew, Lois and Oliver by the river. Ezra's too far ahead to see!
Finally tonight, after the kids were in bed, I drove down a street near my house for the first time. I was looking for a newly constructed home one of our friends just bought, but I couldn't find it. I did pass several families enjoying a summer evening outside, though. It's one of the best thing about a neighborhood full of front porches. One house was impossible not to notice. There were two small tables and one really long table filling up their entire front yard--each with tablecloths. I think there were easily 30 people enjoying Sunday dinner together as a family on the lawn. I loved it--it reminded me of something in a movie. I wanted to stop and watch them, but that would have been creepy. I'll have to remember to take a walk down that street on a Sunday sometime...

I am thankful for these moments that so frequently make up my afternoons and weekends. There are some great things about where we live! :)

1 comment: