Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Nonnie's Heaven Day

August 8, 2011. Nonnie's 81st birthday dinner at mom and dad's house.

I am remembering my sweet grandmother today. She went to be with Jesus a year ago.  I miss her voice and her touch, the way she was always hunting for things, her thoughtful gifts and delicious cakes. I smile when I remember how she always had cookies on hand (we weren't even allowed inside if she didn't), her "special drawer" where she kept books and trinkets she gave the boys when they visited, and the countless hours I spent sitting on my chair in her family room. She took great care to make sure we knew how much we were loved, and she was so proud of us.

Nonnie loved dogs, reading, our family's history, and baking cakes. She was constantly serving veterans, new citizens and friends through one of her many groups. I hope I am like her in those ways---caring deeply about those closest to me, and being intentional about serving those who are sometimes forgotten.

Nonnie's last weeks and days are hard to think about, but really beautiful at the same time. She was so careful to give us special things to remember her by, and I loved the times I had sitting by her bed and holding her hand. One evening near the end, Lois and I were visiting her. She had her eyes closed all evening, when suddenly she opened them and said, "Oh! How nice to see you both. Lois is beautiful. I love you so!" I can still hear her voice--it was the same one she used to read stories to me as a girl.

Family is such a precious gift, and I often fail to realize the significance of those relationships in day to day life. My poppy is still with us, and I cherish the time I get to spend with him. I wish I had a photo of him, Ezra, Lois and I on one of our Friday lunch dates. We are a hoot together!

1 comment: