Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sister Cousins

My sister and I were both pregnant last year--she was due in October, and I was in December. What was even more special was that her due date was my birthday--October 3rd. When her little girl Mercy was born right on time, I was thrilled. She was absolutely beautiful, and I knew we were going to have a special connection for the rest of our lives. Drew and I didn't know whether our baby was a boy or girl, but we thought it would be fun to have a cousin so close in age. Holding sweet Mercy, I remember feeling like it would be a long time before I got to meet our little one.

It was a lot shorter than I expected! My water broke one year ago today, and I spent two days in the hospital trying to slow down labor. In the middle of the night on October 19th, I had an emergency c-section. I remember feeling anxious about all the unknowns with a premature birth, peace that God was with me and was going to take care of me, and absolute job when I heard, "It's a girl!"

The first few hours of Lois's life are a blur to me, but I remember she was so tiny. Three pounds, eleven ounces tiny. The smallest baby I had ever seen. I couldn't snuggle with her or even hold her for many hours, but she was healthier than we thought she'd be.

After three weeks in the NICU, I was anxious for my little Lois to meet Mercy. Page came to visit us one day, and we took pictures of them side by side. Mercy was a healthy, average sized baby, but she looked huge compared to 4 pound Lois.



Look at the two of them now! They got matching riding toys--the pinkest things I've ever seen. :) Mercy is definitely further along developmentally--walking and climbing everywhere. But Lois has cerrtainly caught up in size. She even looks bigger in this photo. 




I call them sister-cousins, though I'm not really sure why. Neither of them has a sister, and I think it's special that they are only 16 days apart. It will be so much fun to watch them grow up together, and I will look forward to lots of special birthday memories with them. There's a lot to celebrate in October!

1 comment: